Sunday 20 March 2011

Grave Goods by Ariana Franklin

From The Week of October 11, 2009


And it all comes crashing down... I'm sure, given time, the next instalment of Adelia Aguilar will seduce me into consuming it, but Grave Goods is, just now, a grave disappointment whose stink will linger for some time. The mystery here is unengaging. And while there may well be historical support for Henry II's Arthurian fears in this novel, the mysticism of it failed to move my meter. Adelia remains interesting, but a consequence of writing many books about one character is that the hero seems to take on superhuman significance. No one person is so pivotal to so many events, or so successful at thwarting fate, much less the greedy knives of their enemies. Grave Goods is a bridge too far for me. Perhaps others will find something enjoyable that escaped me. (2/5 Stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment